Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Odds and ends

Add Nick Chubb to the list of second-guessers with regard to what he should have done instead of what he actually did Sunday in the loss to the New York Jets. Check out what he said Tuesday.

"Yeah, I probably shouldn't have scored right there," he said, referring to a 12-yard touchdown run that gave the Browns a two-touchdown lead with less than two minutes left in regulation. "Honestly, looking back at it, it cost us the game." A pure second guess at best. And it sounded a little reluctant. Too much pushback, I guess.

"A lot of things went wrong, not just one thing," Chubb continued. "But collectively as a unit, as a team, we could have all done things differently. But it's only a problem because we didn't win. So I probably should have went (no, gone) down."

He wasn't thinking about going down at the time for a very good reason. He instinctively sought to score. And now he's being unfairly chastised for doing what he was supposed to do in that case. I don't believe fans booed when he scored. They reserved that after the defense and special teams blew up this one.

More from Chubb. "At the end of the day, I've been in that situation before," he said, "so I really can't put it on anyone but myself at this point. I think the biggest thing is I was aware of what was going on and I thought the game was over, if I'm being honest.

".  . . I think after the game, I really sat on it. I allowed myself to just feel the pain and all of it that came with the loss. Gotta move on." The sad part is he was not the reason the Browns lost. He's the main reason they led at the time. 

Too many things had to be assumed in order to place any blame, let alone a major portion, on Chubb. Sure sounds as though someone was convincing enough to get him to see things differently and change his line of thinking and be talked into joining the second guess club.

***

Perrion Winfrey will be back on the field Thursday night when the Browns and Pittsburgh Steelers resume their rivalry in front of a national television audience. The brash rookie defensive tackle spent the Jets game sitting out a one-game punishment for unspecified reasons.

Myles Garrett suggested at the time that Perrion needed "to learn how to be a pro" without going into details. The loquacious Winfrey, who captured the hearts of Browns fans in an entertaining interview shortly after being selected in the fourth round of the college draft, said Tuesday that all rookies must learn how to be a pro.

Topping that list is keeping quiet. Rookies should be seen and not heard. They are there to learn everything during what often times can be a difficult transition from college to the National Football League. 

Winfrey indicated he would not let his punishment interfere with his job, although it is being reported he did not apologize for his actions.

"I'm still approaching practice and everything balls to the wall, still being the player I was meant to be," he said. "This doesn't change anything. Doesn't change my focus. Doesn't change how I feel about the organization, the team or anything like that."

Sounds like a step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment